Thursday, March 26, 2009

Schilling's Retirement and Other Thoughts

I can sum up Curt Schilling in 2 words - Ketchup Socks. 2 more words - Fat Bastard. And finally, Loud Mouth. I must admit, the man could pitch when the game counted. However, I always felt he did not deserve the Co-MVP of the 2001 World Series with Randy Johnson. The man left Game 7 losing 2-1 after giving up the go ahead home run to Alfonso Soriano, when Randy Johnson came in to win his third game of the Series. Still wondering to this day why Torre didn't have the Yankees bunting on him in Game 6 of the 2004 A.L. Championship Series. Then again, Torre was a terrible manager exposed for what he was after the real genius, Don Zimmer left.

Joe Girardi is thinking about batting Derek Jeter leadoff over Johnny Damon. I don't think it's that terrible of an idea. Hopefully, this means Bret Gardner has won the CF job, leaving Melky "automatic out" or "runner left on third" Cabrera on the bench. My guess is Girardi wants to break up Damon and Gardner as back to back lefties in the order. I just hope Jeter doesn't start to show slippage with his batting. I fear he's turned into the Yankees version of singles hitting Ichiro. I meant Suzuki.

I don't understand what all the baseball talk about the World Baseball Classic, especially on XM radio. No one's a bigger baseball fan than me, yet I have minimal interest in these games. I for one, would be happy if none of the Yankee players participated. I think the games can become too intense for players who haven't played for 5 months. Not only that, I think the previous WBC led to the arm troubles for Freddy Garcia, who may never be the same again. Not only that, as Chipper Jones pointed out this year, these guys are playing 3 games a week while there teammates are playing every day, seeing live pitching or facing live batters.Memphis is blowing up my NCAA bracket. Good news is, Notre Dame is in the NIT semis. Here's to winning the 65th best team award.

2 more words for Schilling - Good Riddance.

No comments:

Post a Comment